Wednesday, September 16, 2009

i miss my grandfather

I don't believe in death. I know that sounds so silly, but I just don't. Its an easy way out of being Sad. Its been 5 years since my Amazing grandfather "died". I usually just never think about it ever since it happened, because if I do, of course I will just cry and get angry and that has never solved anything. I didn't even cry at the wake or funeral, because I just didn't believe it actually happened... with over 200 people from all over the country crammed into a tiny incense smelling chapel, pouring out onto the lawn, it just all seemed surreal that this was for my own grandfather.
William Charles....God rest your soul. The funniest, most original, most entertaining, smartest, classiest, most cultured man I have ever met. And wonderful chef of course, absolutely wonderful.

A Renaissance Man
William Koneazny was a chef, a radio host, a critic, a saloon keeper, a veteran of two armed forces in two wars, an author of two cookbooks and two books on the Roman Catholic Church.
He and his brother, Jack, founded the Peerless Tree Expert Company in 1945, and he was among the first to be licensed as an arborist by the state of Connecticut.
Beginning in 1947, Mr. Koneazny was a host on the radio talk show, the ''Bill Wicky Hour,'' on a station in Torrington, and he ran a tavern, the Pearly Gates Saloon in Sheffield, Mass., just over the state line. Mr. Koneazny was employed as a restaurant reviewer by two newspapers, The Lakeville Journal and The Connecticut Western Newspaper.
Mr. Koneazny, a Hartford native, graduated from Weaver High School in 1944 and saw service in the Merchant Marine in World War II and in the Army in the Korean War.
Mr. Koneazny died June 16. He was 77.

New York Times

The Extraordinary Who Lived Among Us
By DICK AHLES
Published: December 26, 2004

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D07E1D61030F935A15751C1A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=10

No comments: